Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Blessed Be The Name of the Lord

He said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, And naked I shall return there. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD." Job 1:21 (emphasis mine)

This Lord has used this verse to relentlessly pursue me for the last three years. Actually, the song that is based on that verse is what He has used to pursue me. Written by Matt Redman, "Blessed Be Your Name" is one of the most joyful, convicting, comforting, soul-searching songs I’ve ever heard. I love it. No matter what mood I am in, or what my external circumstances are, the words resonate with my soul. Here they are in their entirety...my story continues below.

"Blessed Be Your Name"
by Matt Redman
Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name

As I look back, this has been a semester of change...of God giving and taking away in every area of my life. A friendship that I thought I would have for the rest of my life and would never be shaken has blown up and for all practical purposes ended until further notice. At the same time, God gave me a friendship that has not only blown my mind away, but is more healthy, stable, and mutually beneficial than the friendship that was lost ever was. Some of the adult mentors in my life moved away and were removed from having day-to-day influence in my life, but God graciously provided new ones to encourage me, pray for me, and give me advice. Some desires were fulfilled, some were taken away, and some were put to sleep for a more appropriate time. I’m not the same person I was four months ago…I’d like to think I’m a better version, but I’m sure there are days when that assessment would be challenged : ). These are just a few examples of the thousands of little ways that God has provided for me and been faithful through the good and the bad, the crashing waves and the calm seas.

The semester is over which means that classes and SALT and all that comes with the two most time consuming things in my life are over for awhile; people are leaving (some are returning in the fall, some aren’t), and things are changing. Change is hard…and more than a little scary sometimes. I’m not always a big fan. My roommates are moving out, some of my best friends are graduating and moving on, and its time to adjust to what will become the new normal…these are not so fun things. I will have more time to think, reflect, and do fun things over the next four months than I have over the last nine combined…these are better things. I will be able to set aside longer periods of time to spend with my Dad, get to know His heart better, and let Him change mine…these are the best things.

And now we come back to the song and the verse that inspired it. Blessed Be the Name of the Lord. Period. End of sentence. It doesn’t say, Blessed Be the Name of the Lord when everything is good…or I understand and agree with everything happening…or when I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. It says Blessed Be the Name of the Lord. Period. The end. No matter what my circumstances are is the implied meaning. And that is what God has been pursuing me with. He has been asking me, “Is this really true of your attitude and heart Nicole?” and when the answer is no, He has broken me and remolded me until I could truly say yes.

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

And I can say that this is truly the cry and attitude of my heart. Not that I have mastered it and am always on the ball…because I never will be. In fact, just yesterday morning, God had to have a little attitude check with me about this and remind me what I had momentarily forgotten. But I’ve come to the point where in pretty much every circumstance (after the initial freak-out period of course :) ) I can truly say

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name
Choosing is vital to this whole process. I will choose to say, Lord, blessed be Your name. And eventually, the choice gets a little easier, feels a little more natural, and beings to resonate not only in my head, but in the very core of my being.

So, "If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

And remember that after you choose to serve the Lord, I encourage you to choose to say, “Lord, blessed be Your name.”

No comments: