Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Lessons in Little Things

I read all of the time for school, and I highlight key points depending on the subject of the paper I have to write on it. I don't like to switch colors in the middle of a book. Actually, my intent was to use one color for each class all semester. Orange for Colonial/Revolutionary, and green for Middle Eastern. Well, green quickly died and I couldn't find another one, so I had to switch to yellow. It was traumatic, but I made it. Then orange and yellow started to die, so I bought new ones. Like a chapter into my new orange one it starts to fade. Major crisis here. I can't buy a new highlighter for every chapter. Needless to say, this was important enough to me to put effort and thought into making this highlighter work.

I had been highlighting fast, so I slowed down a bit, applied consistent and steady pressure and it was fine. The highlighter crisis had been averted. Now, I bet you're wondering where the twist is (besides the fact that I've lost my mind). Here it is. God spoke to me through the high lighter. He said, "Nicole, you are like a highlighter. When you try to rush through things and are not steady and consistent, you are like a dried out highlighter...a mere glimpse of your potential. But, when you are steady, consistent, and don't buck against the pressure you are under, you are like a brand new highlighter...full and rich in color." Now every time I am highlighting (which is often) I am reminded of this. Be steadfast. Be consistent. Trust the hand of the Master. And you'll be as beautiful as a brand new highlighter.

"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work 'of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.'" 1 Corinthians 15:58

No comments: