Monday, August 04, 2008

Kind Words

"Watch out, brothers, so that there won't be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart that departs from the living God. But encourage each other daily, while it is still called today , so that none of you is hardened by sin's deception. For we have become companions of the Messiah if we hold firmly until the end the reality that we had at the start." Hebrews 3:12-14 (HCSB)

I was at a family function awhile back and something happened that made me realize how important these verses are, especially the middle verse. See, there has been some drama in this particular branch of the family for quite awhile now. The event we were all attending kind of brought everything to a head, and while there was no major blowout, things were always right at the boiling point and very tense and awkward. I like to observe things and after observing both main parties involved I had two thoughts. One was that I wanted to deck one of the parties (I know - anger issues). The other was how impressed I was with how the other party was handling things. They were the perfect picture and total embodiment of Romans 12:17-19 which says,

"Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Try to do what is honorable in everyone's eyes. If possible, on your part, live at peace with everyone. Friends, do not avenge yourselves; instead, leave room for His wrath. For it is written: Vengeance belongs to Me; I will repay, says the Lord." (HCSB)

I don't know that I've ever seen a better representation of these verses than I saw that weekend. I was so impressed that I felt led to affirm and encourage this couple who was handling things so well. I wrote them a note telling them how impressed and encouraged I was by their example and encouraging them to continue on in the way they were going.

The response I got to this little letter blew me away. They told me thank you and that no one had ever encouraged them or affirmed them for an aspect of their faith. In their entire life. Late thirties, been a Christian pretty much their whole life, and NO ONE had ever encouraged or affirmed them in thier faith! Not only had they never been encouraged, but they had been looked down on and condemned for thier lack of faith - if anything was said at all it was negative. This totally boggled my mind. How is one surrounded by brothers and sisters in the faith all the time for almost forty years and never encouraged or told to hang in there, what you're doing is worth it?

The whole thing made me wonder how many other fellow brothers and sisters in Christ were out there having never been encouraged in their faith. How many others do I come in contact with on a regular basis who feel like utter failures and/or totally alone in this race we're running simply because I never bothered to pass on a kind word. How many others do you come in contact with who are in the same boat?

My encouragement to you is to think about the people in your life who may need a word of encouragement or affirmation. Ask God to bring to your mind people who need a kind word and what they need affirmed in. Then give them a call, send them an email, or write them a note and toss it in the mail. Today. Now. You'll likely never know the difference you made in thier life by being obedient to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. Also, never withold a chance to pass on a word of encouragment. Look for things you can encourage your brothers and sisters in and do it. Make it a practice to "encourage each other daily, while it is still called today , so that none of you is hardened by sin's deception. For we have become companions of the Messiah if we hold firmly until the end the reality that we had at the start."

1 comment:

Lees said...

So true! This is a great post Nickel! I often find myself wondering why we will encourage complete strangers with a kind word or a smile but with Christian brothers and sisters - we only have jugdemental and critical things to say....

Keep up the writing! Miss ya and Love ya!
Lees