Monday, April 14, 2014

A Tribute to My Favorite Pirate

One of my all-time favorite movie characters is Jack Sparrow. Pardon me, Captain Jack Sparrow. While the sequels have debatable merits, the original Pirates of the Caribbean is in my opinion, one of the funniest movies. While Captain Jack Sparrow is by far my favorite fictional pirate, he's a far second in regards to my favorite pirate either fictional or real: my grandpa, Ron Erickson.

When my sister (Kimmi) and I were little, Grandpa Ron loved dressing up as a pirate and telling us stories. He'd put on one of my grandma's scarfs, her eye patch, and he'd come into their kitchen growling and acting like a pirate. He was so convincing that the first time he did it, Kimmi (who is admittedly a bit gullible) screamed and was terrified because she thought he was a real pirate. It took him awhile to calm her down and convince her it was just Grandpa and that we were all safe. Once she was reassured, he got back in character and we sat at the table with Pirate Ron and Grandma Chi-Chi as he told us stories of his adventures on the high seas. Every time after that, he'd come into the room slightly less scary, making sure everyone knew it was just Grandpa, but still convincing and magical enough for us to believe his stories of the sea.

Another of his favorite activities to make us squeal in terror and delight, as only children can do, was to take his dentures out and drop them in our hands. He'd tell us to close our eyes and sometimes before he could even get them out of his mouth, we'd run away squealing only to come right back begging for him to do it again. One thing is certain. Grandpa Ron loved to have fun and make us laugh whenever he was home not from pirating ships, but from driving his 18 wheeler.

The one thought that sticks out in my mind the most is that my Grandpa Ron loved my Grandma Chi-Chi well. I know from personal experience that it isn't easy to live with a life-long chronic illness. Having someone who loves and supports you well makes all the difference in the world. Grandpa never seemed to mind the inconveniences Grandma's epilepsy sometimes caused. On the contrary, he fiercely defended and protected her against anyone who would tease, even in the lightest and kindest of spirits.

He wasn't perfect. He could be stubborn and was definitely set in his ways. He could be a bit ornery too when he chose. However, at the end of the day, he loved his family well. He did the best he could with what he had. He worked hard his whole life, never letting anything stop him from what he wanted to do. In fact, telling him he couldn't pretty much guaranteed he would. He loved his family well, and did what had to be done to take care of them.

When the monitors showed that he was gone, we gathered around his bed and sang the first and last verse of his favorite hymn, "Amazing Grace." As the nurse who was in the room can attest, we sounded pretty terrible as we choked out the words through our tears. I think its because we heard it with ears limited by earth. In heaven, where Grandpa now was, I figure it must've been one of the most beautiful songs ever heard. It was sung in honor of the man we all love, and because of the perfect and sustaining love of the Savior we all serve.

I'm going to miss my Grandpa. I'll miss his big belly laugh when something tickled his funny bone. I'll miss the random stories that I'd never before heard. I'll missing giving him a hug and a kiss when I come in the door and hearing him tell me, "You look good kid." I look forward to the day when I will see him again. Until then, I'll think of my favorite pirate and smile, not because I lost him, but because of the time I had him.

No comments: