Friday, April 04, 2014

BISD - A Response

Those of us who live in Beaumont and pay even the slightest bit of attention to the news know that our school district is in trouble. This is not new, and to say its in trouble may seem a bit of an understatement. Things are coming to light and governing agencies are getting involved at a faster pace than ever before. It seems as though almost every time I check Twitter or Facebook over the last week, there is a new tweet or post with another breaking news story that involves BISD and corruption.  At this point, its easy to jump on the bandwagon and rail against the district and everyone involved in each new situation that is made known.

I've been guilty of this myself. I read a story, shake my head, and voice a comment that is either cynical, derogatory, or of a bandwagon mentality, and then move on with life. However, the past few days I've been convicted of that response. Yesterday I texted a friend and asked him if he had a read a widely shared blog about a recent kerfuffle surrounding a global aid situation. He agreed the author had some valid points, but was put off by her negativity in her overall body of work. I asked him how he would respond to those who were rightly upset by the situation. His response was, "Be frustrated. But maintain self awareness. Am I constantly talking about what's wrong or right? Am I more passionate about what's broken or what's working? We can't brush aside injustice but get feedback from others on what you're known more for - what you're against or what you're for. Monitor your energy - more going to building up or tearing down!?"

I was a student in BISD from 1996-2003 and have been an employee since 2008. I consider myself to be pretty aware of what's going on, both good and bad. I've heard of, or been involved in, an astounding variety of situations. There are some days when I literally have no words for the amount of frustration I feel at all that is broken. I mean, let's be real - when the FBI has to make multiple rounds of raids on administrative employees and the state education agency recommends that the district be taken over because the bottom line is that its too corrupt and broken to be fixed from within, there is a definite problem.

BUT

I have to move beyond that. It's not OK to stay stuck there, especially as a Christian.

I knew that just jumping on the bandwagon and railing against everything that is wrong wasn't constructive, but I didn't know what else to do with all of my frustration, disgust, and sometimes despair. My friend's response to the other situation helped clarify what I was thinking about BISD. So I took stock - have I just been complaining and not building up?  Am I more concerned with making a witty comment about all that is wrong, or am I doing my part to make it right? Am I known as one who can always add to the jeering, and not one who can join the cheering?

There are things wrong here. It's not wrong to point them out and fight to right them. I am intensely grateful for the hard work and sweat and tears members of our community have put into getting us to a point where there is a light at the end of what has seemed at times to be a very long, dark tunnel. Now that we're on the verge of change, what will we do? How will I react?

Now more than ever, its vital that we build up and not just tear down. If it's always darkest before the dawn, we still have a lot of work to do. Sometimes I am overwhelmed and feel as though there is nothing I can do. I'm not in a position to change anything, so why try?

Then I remember what I - as just one person - can do. I can encourage those in my sphere of influence. I may not have any way to change things at the top level, but I can influence those I do come in contact with. I can help bring a smile to the discouraged teacher down the hall. I can remember what it was like to be a teenager and extend an extra bit of grace to the kid in my class who tries but just can't seem to get his act together.  I can thank a school administrator for all the extra work she does that nobody knows about. I can walk alongside parents as they do what they can. I can stand against the small injustices I see and do my best not to create any. I can give some extra help to those kids who don't have any support at home. Most importantly, I can remember that while sometimes institutions and bureaucracies are beyond hope, people never are. It is on them that I will spend my energy seeking to make a difference.

Next time I see an article about the state of things in our district, I'll probably shake my head and sigh. But then, instead of joining the voices dumping criticism and blame on an already bad situation, I'll take that energy and use it to encourage someone. I'll remember the times the community as banded together to take care of those in need. I'll pass along a small kindness done to me that made a huge difference.

Will you join me?

1 comment:

Gpa said...

Well said Nicole!A good attitude is so important in just about everything concerning life.